Monday, June 10, 2013

Musing Mondays: 1

*Musing Mondays is a weekly book meme hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading.

Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week...

  • Describe one of your reading habits.
  • Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
  • What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
  • Tell us what you're reading right now - what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren't) enjoying it.
  • Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
  • Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books - let's hear it, then!
     I have recently heard of a book that I'm desperate to get. I found out about it on Saturday, the 8th. The title of it is Banished: Surviving My Years in the Westboro Baptist Church, written by Lauren Drain (with Lisa Pulitzer). I have been observing the WBC from a distance for a while now; and, like the rest of the world, I'm not a big fan of them. In case you don't know what the Westboro Baptist Church is, they are a "church" (more like a cult) that picket events that don't comply with their doctrine. They have been known to picket the funerals of fallen soldiers, from which they have become infamous. The author, Lauren Drain, was a member of the church for most of her life. Her family joined the church when she was fourteen years old. When she got older, she was kicked out (for reasons I'm not 100% sure on) and has no contact with her family.
     I believe this book would be very interesting. I would like to get an inside workings of the church and the members' thought processes. Overall, I can't wait to get this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment