Saturday, June 8, 2013

My Favorite Musicals: The Phantom of the Opera

     The Phantom of the Opera is a musical with music composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Webber is also known for his work on Cats and Jesus Christ Superstar. The lyrics in the musical were written by Le Fantôme de l'Opéra by Gaston Leroux. The musical opened in London's West End in 1986, then on Broadway in 1988. The Phantom of the Opera won the 1986 Oliver Award and the 1988 Tony Award for Best Musical. Michael Crawford, who is the original Phantom, won the Oliver and Tony awards for Best Actor in a Musical.
Charles Hart with additions from Richard Stilgoe. The musical was also based off of the French novel
     The Phantom is the longest running musical in Broadway history. It celebrated it's 10,000th performance on February 11th, 2012, and is the first production to do so. It is also the second longest running musical in West End, and third longest running show overall. The Phantom is estimated to have grossed about $5.6 billion worldwide, and about US $845 million on Broadway. The musical is the most financially successful entertainment event.

     The Phantom of the Opera is my absolute favorite musical. I have seen it live on Broadway. All of it's songs are perfect, so picking a favorite is very hard. In the end, I chose the song I sing the most which would be "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" - A solo sung by leading lady Christine Daaé.

Little Lotte thought of everything and nothing.
Her father promised her that he would send her the Angel of Music.
Her father promised her,
Her father promised her.

You were once my one companion.
You were all that mattered.
You were once a friend and father.
Then my world was shattered.

Wishing you were somehow here again.
Wishing you were somehow near.
Sometimes it seemed if I just dreamed,
Somehow you would be here.

Wishing I could hear your voice again,
Knowing that I never would.
Dreaming of you won't help me to do,
All that you dreamed I could.

Passing bells and sculpted angels,
Cold and monumental,
Seem for you the wrong companions.
You were warm and gentle.

Too many years fighting back tears.
Why can't the past just die?

Wishing you were somehow here again.
Knowing we must say goodbye.
Try to forgive,
Teach me to live.
Give me the strength to try.

No more memories,
No more silent tears.
No more gazing across the wasted years.

Help me say goodbye.
Help me say goodbye.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_of_the_Opera_(1986_musical)

No comments:

Post a Comment